Tackle the litter on your block. Make a citywide difference.
If everyone does a little bit, it makes a huge difference. The Adopt-A-Block program empowers neighbors to help beautify their community starting with the city’s smallest unit—the block. We provide free tools and resources, and you commit to keeping your block free of litter.
Our nearly 1,000 Block Captains – who cover more than 230 miles of Indy blocks – have helped contribute to the tons upon tons of litter we clean up across the city each year. They are also leaders in developing pocket parks, community tree plantings and vibrant greenspace projects throughout the city.
Find Your Block.
Has your block been adopted? Sign up today to adopt your block, business, or school!
What KIB Provides
- A cleanup kit that includes trash bags, gloves, and your choice of four items: a broom, shovel, coated-gloves, dustpan, bucket, reflective vest, and litter-grabber.
- You also receive an Adopt-A-Block t-shirt and annual renewal supplies.
- You can choose to donate your supply kit back to the Adopt-A-Block resident program if you/your company does not need the tools.
- Captain meetings are hosted ~6x a year to help block captains connect with the large community of block captains and access additional learning opportunities.
- We offer a KIB Adopt-A-Block metal sign for a desired location along your block!
- Each captain is eligible to receive a FREE TREE and FREE perennials in the fall each year while supplies last!
- To encourage friendly competition and understand where litter concentrates, KIB scores each block quarterly on a scale of 1 to 4. A score of 1 indicates a litter-free block, whereas 4 indicates heavily littered.
- Little BIG Grants ($500 reimbursement grants) opportunities for neighborhood beautification and community building projects are open to residential and school captains.
- Business captains can receive a “KIB Adopt-A-Block Business Program Block Captain” window decal to proudly display your commitment to cleaning and greening Indy.