KIB Presents "Red, White, & #KIBees" Challenge
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc.
c: 317-264-7555 x121
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful presents the “Red, White, & #KIBees” Challenge for the 4th of July
Contest will take place July 2 - 6 to encourage pollinator counting during the holiday season
JUNE 25, 2018 -- Keeping Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. (KIB) is calling all citizen scientists outside for more than just 4th of July fireworks. It’s your time to test your counting skills and find the pollinator hotspots. This year pollinators will be moving and grooving to the summer blooms and we want you to check them out!
Up for a challenge? One in every three bites of food is made possible by a pollinator. Include a pollinator count in your celebration this year as a reminder that animals, insects, and plants make the air, food and overall quality of city happier and healthier. The goal is simple: We want you to step out to your local greenspace, conduct pollinator counts, and light up the web with blazing beauties for all of Indy to recognize these sparkling superheroes.
On July 8 the top three participants from each day will be selected to win prizes from Sun King Brewery and BRICS Ice Cream for the best #KIBees happy pics.
What are you waiting for? Grab your friends and family this holiday and highlight your favorite pollinators!
DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT THE Red, White & #KIBees CONTEST
- WHEN: Challenge runs July 2 - 6
- WHERE: Anywhere in Marion County
- HOW to get started?
- Make your way to a KIB greenspace, Indy park, or your own backyard
- Photograph a different pollinator on each of the following 3 native plants:
- New England Aster
- Dense Blazing Star
- Common Milkweed
- Conduct a 4-minute pollinator count
- Record each pollinator count using the iNaturalist app or a KIB Pollinator Count Data Sheet
- Post 3 photos of native Indiana pollinators tagging @kibiorg with #KIBees and #RWKIBees on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram
- iNaturalist app
- Pollinator Count Data Sheet
- Local KIB IPL Project GreenSpace or neighborhood park
Need some help finding Pollinator Count material and locations? Visit http://www.kibi.org/KIBees to find everything needed to make it sparkle this Red, White & #KIBees!
About Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. (KIB)
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization with a mission to engage diverse communities to create vibrant public places, helping people and nature thrive. Annually KIB works with nearly 20,000 volunteers on over 800 community projects. To learn more, visit www.kibi.org, or follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook at @kibiorg.