KIB to lead volunteers in Guinness World Records™ Title attempt
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc.
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful to Lead Volunteers in a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ Title Attempt
to End Littering
Community volunteers attempt record title for Largest display of chalk pavement art to raise awareness about litter and civic pride in Indianapolis
INDIANAPOLIS – (September 25, 2017) Keep Indianapolis Beautiful (KIB) will lead volunteers from Eli Lilly and Company, and Indianapolis Power and Light in a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title attempt as a call to action for all residents to stop littering and play a role in caring for the city.
KIB will take over the Indianapolis Cultural Trail on Thursday, September 28 as part of Indy Do Day and Lilly’s 10th Global Day of Service. Armed with cleaning supplies and boxes of chalk, volunteers will attempt to break the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title for Largest display of chalk pavement art – a record of 423 drawings currently held by the citizens of Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada. Local artist, David Orr of the Sapphire Theatre Company, designed the artwork. The message of the piece will reflect the It’s My City call to action of “do a little, change a lot.”.
- WHEN: Thursday, September 28, 2017; 8:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
- WHERE: Indianapolis Cultural Trail: Virginia Ave. | Virginia Ave. between Prospect St. and South St.
- INTERVIEWEES: GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS adjudicator, Christina Conlon; KIB staff; Sapphire Theatre artist, David Orr; Lilly staff; volunteers
- VISUALS: GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS adjudicator officially kicks off the attempt at 8:00 A.M.; Volunteers complete 4’ x 5’ sections of the mural in teams from 8:00 A.M. – approx. 11:30 A.M.; GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS adjudicator to verify record approx. 11:30 A.M. – noon; completed artwork will be visible from the air
- CONNECTED EVENT: Cleanups and anti-litter, community-inspired artwork will take place across the city. Volunteers will cleanup and leave behind chalk awareness art along 36 miles of Indianapolis trails and sidewalks. Volunteers from the Sycamore School, Lilly, BGD Legal, Essentra, IUPUI, Fairway Outdoor, Cummins, Salesforce, Borshoff, Citizens Energy Group, CICF, Indianapolis Power and Light, Stifel, DeWitt & Shrader, and TrendyMinds will participate in the effort. More information can be found at itsmycityindy.org/map.
Current GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title information for the Largest display of chalk pavement art: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-display-of-chalk-pavement-art
Map of 36-mile cleanup and litter awareness project: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1c79xU12VBiXPZmO44enUdbg7FPg&ll=39.82148073722491%2C-86.11933550000003&z=12
About Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. (KIB)
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization with a mission to engage diverse communities to create vibrant public places, helping people and nature thrive. Annually, KIB works with approximately 20,000 volunteers on nearly 900 community projects. To learn more, visit www.kibi.org, or follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook at @kibiorg.
About It’s My City
“It’s My City” is a three-year effort designed to leverage civic pride and engage residents in the health of Indianapolis. Designed to progressively improve our city until, at the end of 2019, we see a city that is clean, green and beautiful – and full of residents who are proud to call Indianapolis home. To learn more, visit www.itsmycityindy.org or follow #itsmycity on social media.