2018 IPL Project GreenSpace Recipients Announced - Cloned
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc.
IPL Project GreenSpace Recipients Selected for Transformation in 2018 by Keep Indianapolis Beautiful
Neighborhood diversity, cohesion and need underscore upcoming greenspace
INDIANAPOLIS — (September 12, 2017) Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. (KIB) announces five new community greenspace projects awarded as part of KIB’s IPL Project GreenSpace program for 2018. KIB reviewed over 20 applications from active community groups wanting to transform vacant areas into useful places for their neighborhood and our city. Five applications were selected for 2018 GreenSpace projects.
In partnership with Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL) and the City of Indianapolis, KIB has helped neighborhoods, schools, churches, and other community-based organizations create pocket parks and other greenspaces since 1995. These spaces focus on connecting people to nature and creating a sense of place rooted in local identity.
The following organizations and spaces have been selected as 2018 project partners:
- Shelton Heights Greenspace (Project location: 3836 Rockville Ave., 46241) — A year ago, the Shelton Heights neighborhood joined Indy Gateway, a community development organization, to demolish an abandoned trailer park. In its place, residents, community volunteers, and KIB will create a pocket park and gathering space. Residents report that applying for the project has already made the community stronger, as an increase in neighbors’ communication has led to a decrease in crime.
- Flanner House Community Orchard (Project location: 2424 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St., 46208) — The Flanner House Community Orchard, a component of the Flanner House Farm, will transform a vacant lot in the 25th and MLK Great Places 2020 neighborhood into a vibrant place that supports food access in one of Indy’s largest food deserts. Children and adults will be able to pick fruit, care for fruit trees, learn about nutrition, and participate in activities in the space such as yoga and community parties. Additional partner organizations include Groundwork Indy and the Center of Wellness for Urban Women.
- Prospect Falls GreenSpace (Project Location: 2599 Prospect St., 46203) — The Prospect Falls greenspace project is located in the Twin Aire Great Places 2020 focus area and WECAN (West and East of Churchman Avenue Neighbors) neighborhoods, along Pleasant Run Creek and just east of Fountain Square. The community space, on the former site of a coke plant, will become a gateway for the Community Justice Center development and an artistic and natural habitat for monarch butterflies.
- Fall Creek Community Orchard (Project location: 200 E. Fall Creek Pkwy South, 46205) — The Fall Creek Place Homeowners Association looks to transform the Fall Creek Trail between North Delaware Street and Central Avenue to further highlight the waterway and provide a gathering space. This project will remove invasive species and restore an area with fruit trees to create a place for education on biodiversity, agriculture, and wildlife habitats.
- Urban Temple GreenSpace in Cottage Home (Project Location: 507 Dorman St., 46202) — Cottage Home’s wood and wire Urban Temple sculpture has been a landmark on Michigan Avenue for 25 years. In partnership with the Cottage Home Neighborhood Association, this project will reimage this neighborhood gateway along the Pogue’s Run Greenway trail to connect the neighbors and preserve the community’s heritage.
The new class of project partners will attend a kick-off orientation at KIB on Tuesday, September 26.
KIB would like to thank the City and community development and design professionals and KIB donors who assisted in project selection for 2018. The IPL Project GreenSpace program is made possible by the support of our title sponsor, Indianapolis Power & Light Company, as well as other generous supporters, including the City of Indianapolis. For more information on KIB’s IPL Project GreenSpace, please visit www.kibi.org/project_greenspace.
About Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. (KIB)
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization with a mission to engage diverse communities to create vibrant public places, helping people and nature thrive. Annually, KIB works with nearly 20,000 volunteers on nearly 900 community projects. To learn more, visit www.kibi.org, or follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook at @kibiorg