IPL PROJECT GREENSPACE
Functional, Beautiful, Resilient, Distinctive Places
Connecting people to nature, creating vibrant places rooted in community and building lasting value by working together. IPL Project GreenSpace is a grassroots driven effort that helps transform vacant lots and underused spaces into natural, beautiful and functional pocket parks and greenspaces for a neighborhood. By bringing together each of KIB's programs from Adopt-A-Block and Great Indy Cleanups to NeighborWood Tree plantings, we are able to work empower neighbors to improve their community.
>>> 2014 KIB IPL Project GreenSpace Grant Recipients <<<
Current 2013 Projects
Click Here for current project partners and to learn more about the community projects in your neighbor, and all over Indy!
Square One: Placemaking!
IPL Project GreenSpace is an intensive and highly engaged effort within KIB that is a multi-year creation process and a long-term maintenance commitment. It is heavily based upon the success of involvement with other KIB programs. It is a grant-based program with applications announced in early summer, deadlines at the beginning of August and announcements by November 1st. The grants are project management grants that are not financially driven.
The environment in which you live has a direct impact quality of life. The smallest beautification efforts enhances a neighborhoods reputation, reduces crime and attracts new families and businesses. This is why IPL’s is proud of its partnership with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful to improve the quality of life through the IPL Project Greenspace program. -Greg Fennig, IPL Vice President, Community Relations
What KIB provides?
- Expertise, Support and Guidance - KIB will provide support in community engagement, design, volunteer recruitment and coordination, and project implementation. We will invest time on the front end to develop a design plan for the space and evaluate neighborhood engagement to help with implementation and maintenance.
- Native Plants and Trees - KIB will purchase plants and trees, and educate about the importance of native plantings. At the end of the project, partners will receive a care binder that will outline common weeds, care and maintenance of the native plantings at the space, and the importance to keep out invasive species.
- Paths, benches, shelters and nature plays - Hardscape elements called for in the design will be secured by KIB to help complete the site. This may be constructed by volunteers or in some cases, built with support from contractors.
- Art, Nature, Beauty - KIB is embarking on a new partnership with the Arts Council of Indianapolis to bring art to these spaces, striving toward a four season area. Art comes in various forms, functional pieces such as benches, temporary murals on mural walls, beautiful centerpieces to a space.
- Maintenance Support - KIB will work with the project partner to identify specific maintenance needs such as watering that they will assist with, as well as schedule follow-up workdays to bring the tool trailer and volunteers. These steps will help provide a transition time for the project partners to become oriented to maintenance needs and schedules.
Project Partners Commitment?
- Volunteers - From steering committee members to project implementers, volunteers will be needed to develop the ideas and build the dreams. Short and long-term goals will be created at the beginning, design plans will be drafted based on those needs, and at least half of the volunteers on project day must come from the neighborhood.
- Partnership Development - Successful projects never rest on one or two individuals. Project Partners will assist KIB in not only broadening community engagement with other neighbors, but also businesses, churches and community organizations that may provide support and resources to the project.
- Maintenance Commitments - Individuals commit to take on specific roles for the maintenance needs, and the neighborhood commits to maintaining the space coordinate volunteers to complete the project.
- Celebrations - The local project partner will help provide food for project days and work on programming appropriate times to celebrate within the space separate from work days.
Goals are to create a space for outdoor enjoyment, social gathering and environmental education that build upon the principles of sense of place.
Completed Past Projects
To see highlighted past projects, visit this page. Our work in the community creates attractive, inviting, and vibrant outdoor public spaces. The use of the space is determined by the applicant. It can be a quiet space, a play space, or anything in between!
Interested in submitting an application?
The process to create and establish a greenspace in your neighborhood requires long-term commitment and engagement from many in your neighborhood. Applications will be available in early May, and if accepted, your efforts will result in a beautiful vibrant space that your neighborhood will care for and celebrate in for year's to come. Applicants are encouraged to review the following documents while before submitting an application for consideration.
Already an IPL GreenSpace Project Partner? Visit these links below for helpful information and neighborhood resources.
- Share Your Successes! Please fill out this volunteer spotlight form so we can learn more about you and what you are doing in your neighborhood. We will use these spotlights on our website, in KIB's quarterly Get the Dirt newsletter and in information sent out to Adopt-A-Block coordinators across the city!
- How-To Guide for Creating Pocket Park and Greenspace Projects: Everything you need to know to get started!
- Local Neighborhood Resources: Take a look at the resources available to help you improve your neighborhood.
- Get involved: Help another organization realize their dream of a pocket park.
Have a question? Contact Joseph Jarzen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-264-7555 x106.
Continued success of IPL Project GreenSpace depends on our sponsors and individuals like you! Consider donating to Keep Indianapolis Beautiful.
Thanks to our IPL Project GreenSpace Sponsors!
Local Initiatives Support Corporation
|The Employees of CICF|