OTHER TREE RESOURCES
Keep on learning.
- How to Plant a Containerized Tree
- How to Plant a Containerized Tree Video
- How to Plant a "Ball & Burlap" Tree
- Indiana 811 - Call Before You Dig
- Indianapolis Flora Permit
- Tree Species Fact Sheets (Plant A Million)
- Indianapolis Recommended Street Trees: Overstory
- Indianapolis Recommended Street Trees: Understory
- Indianapolis Recommended Street Trees: Evergreen
Tree Care and Preservation
- Basic Tree Care and Maintenance
- Tree Owner's Manual (US Forest Service)
- Ash Trees Threatened: The Emerald Ash Borer (Purdue Extension)
- Why Topping Hurts Trees (ISA)
- Why Topping Hurts Trees (Tree City)
- Find a Tree Care Service
- Trees and Electricity
- Invasive Plants of Indiana (INPAWS)
- Invasive Plants of the Midwest (MIPN)
- Indianapolis Code of Ordinances (Scroll to Chapter 701 for Trees and Flora)
- IndyGov FAQs about Trees in the Right-of-Way
Research Demonstrating the Positive Impact of Trees
- Alliance for Community Trees: "The Benefits of Trees and Urban Forests: A Research List"
- Landscape and Human Health Laboratory:
Read about Dr. Frances E. Kuo's fascinating research on the positive effect of trees on social and environmental health in the inner-city.
- Human Dimensions of Urban Forestry and Urban Greening:
Read about Dr. Kathleen L. Wolf's research about the relationships between nature and consumer environments, trees and transportation, benefits of trees on human behavior and more!
- Urban Forestry & Urban Greening Research
- Parks and Other GreenEnvironments: Essential Components of a Healthy Human Habitat
- Tree Benefit Calculator (i-Tree)
- Tree Benefit Calculator (Davey)
Great Tree Books to Check Out
- Dirr, Michael A. Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses. Champaign: Stipes Publishing, 1975.
- Hightshoe, Gary L. Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines for Urban and Rural America. Toronto: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1988.
- Jackson, Marion T. 101 Trees of Indiana. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2003.
- Johnson, Warren T. and Howard H. Lyon. Insects That Feed On Trees And Shrubs. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1991.
- Sinclair, Wayne A. and Howard H. Lyon. Diseases of Trees and Shrubs. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2005.
- Tallamy, Douglas W. Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants. Portland, Oregon: Timber Press, 2007.
- Weeks, Sally S., Harmon P. Weeks, Jr. and George R. Parker. Native Trees of the Midwest: Identification, Wildlife Values, and Landscaping Use. West Lafayette: Purdue University Press, 2005.
Local and National Partners
- Alliance for Community Trees
- Indiana Urban Forestry Council
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Division of Community and Urban Forestry
- Indiana Arborist Association
- Hoosier Heartland RC&D: Plant A Million
- Purdue Extension Marion County
- Arbor Day Foundation
- Indiana 2010 Big Tree Register
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources: Forestry Publications
- Forestry and Natural Resource Portal (Webinars)
- Urban Natural Resources Institute
- Reforestation, Nurseries, & Genetics Resources
- Tree-Related Professional Organizations