Tree by tree, street by street
NeighborWoods is KIB's effort to strategically plant trees throughout Indianapolis. Our goal is to plant 100,000 trees in Marion County.
Click Here to apply for a NeighborWoods planting in your community, or to learn more about the program. With your help we can grow our city's tree canopy!
KIB's NeighborWoods program helps to make neighborhoods more inviting, environmentally sound and safe; while our programs such as Youth Tree Team and Tree Tenders ensure newly planted trees survive and our city is green!
Words from the Street
Share your stories on how trees have transformed your neighborhood! Click here.
We plant trees. With more than 30,000 trees planted since we announced the program in 2006, neighbors come together to beautify their community through tree plantings.
Create a beautiful, healthy and safe environment for Indy residents. KIB's NeighborWoods program not only improves the natural environment through aesthetics and clean air and water; trees also improve our health and well-being—exposure to even small amounts of trees reduces mental fatigue, and reduced air pollution from the presence of trees helps to ameliorate respiratory problems. Research also shows that trees help to reduce crime and foster safer, more sociable neighborhoods. In an inner-city neighborhood, the greener the residence, the lower the crime rate. Residents reported fewer violent crimes and property crimes in green neighborhoods as compared to those that were barren.
Building community through greening. By planting trees at home, work or in your neighborhood, you are investing in your community and forging a green legacy for future generations to enjoy. Neighbors are introduced and communities are strengthen through tree planting all over our city every weekend. With your help we can grow our city's tree canopy and make Indy a better place to live, work, and play!
What do I do to get trees in my neighborhood?
If your neighborhood is located within Marion County you can apply for 20+ trees to plant in your community.
- Take a walk around your neighborhood or on your block, by yourself or with a group of other neighbors. Notice spaces throughout your community that need trees.
- Share with neighbors your interest in trees. Form a small group that will help you begin to organize the planting. Ask them to share the ideas with their neighbors.
- Get in touch with us to receive door hangers about the trees and apply online for a tree planting in your neighborhood.
- Gather volunteers to help plant trees. Encourage your neighbors to help in this part of the process.
- Water the trees for three years. Once the trees are planted, you and your neighbors will be responsible for watering each tree with 15 gallons of water each week Spring – Fall for the first three years.
What we provide to help you!
- Guidance in tree species and site selection for your community planting
- Large 1" caliper trees and materials for the planting
- Deliveries of trees and mulch will be sent to your neighborhood ahead of the planting
- Necessary permits and to get all underground utilities marked before the planting
- All tree planting tools will be provided
- Our certified arborists on staff will provide training to all volunteers on the planting day
Not ready for trees in your neighborhood?
Are you an individual, community group, faith-based organization, or a corporation looking for other ways to get involved?
Sign up to volunteer at a Tree Planting. With a goal to plant 100,000 trees in Marion County we can use all the help we can get!
Register the tree you planted. Did you recently plant a tree? Help count toward our 100,000 tree goal by registering it today.
Donate online. Turn your green into green.
Purchase a Legacy Tree. Looking for the perfect gift for someone special, or would you like to honor someone?
Learn more about Planting with a Purpose. Trees play a vital role in our spiritual and environmental improvement.
Engage your company in our work. Host a corporate day of service to help us keep Indy beautiful!
- Why Trees?
- Read about our Vision and Research
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Tree Resources
- Videos and Photo Gallery
- Printable NeighborWoods Brochure ( PDF )
- NeighborWoods Sponsors
Continued success of our NeighborWoods program depends on our sponsors and individuals like you! Consider donating to Keep Indianapolis Beautiful.