Volunteers will be working in the Fountain Square area to plant trees, pick up litter and beautify the neighborhood
INDIANAPOLIS – (April 22, 2014) Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. (KIB) will be working on the near Southside of Indianapolis this Saturday with over 1,000 volunteers on more than 50 neighborhood beautification and community improvement projects. A citywide effort to beautify and strengthen our communities, the Great Indy Cleanup is a partnership between KIB and the City of Indianapolis. A kickoff event is planned for this Saturday at the Southeast Community Youth Center, 924 Shelby Street. More than 400 volunteers will be in attendance to take part in the one day cleanup, with activities ranging from mural paintings, tree plantings, and litter cleanups to park spruce ups.
Saturday, April 26, 2014
WHO: Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. and Mayor Ballard
WHAT: April Great Indy Cleanup Kickoff Event
WHERE: Southeast Community Youth Center, 924 Shelby St. (Corner of Shelby and Hosbrook)
WHEN: Saturday, April 26, 2014, 8:00 A.M. TO 9:30 P.M.
More than 400 volunteers will meet for breakfast and opening remarks from Mayor Greg Ballard at the Southeast Community Youth Center. Volunteers will meet at 8 A.M for registration and program, and then branch out to clean up the neighborhood. Mayor Ballard will greet and address volunteers at 8:50AM.
Highlights of the 2014 April Great Indy Cleanup Kickoff Event:
- Breakfast and lunch will be served to volunteers, as well as free t-shirts for the first 300 volunteers
- Those who ride their bike to the event will receive a free donut from Rocket 88 Doughnuts
- The Pickled Peddler and the Handlebar will be onsite to transfer volunteers from various cleanup projects in the neighborhood.
- The Indianapolis Bikeshare will donate free bike rental to all those who participate in Saturday’s cleanup
- Planting nearly 90 trees in the area
- Painting a 4500 square foot mural on Morris Street
- 9 mini murals will be painted on traffic signal boxes
- Creation of a community herb garden
- Community demonstration of how to treat Emerald Ash Borer on nearly 20 trees in Lacy Park
The Great Indy Cleanup is made possible by generous donations from the City of Indianapolis, Bayer Advanced, Covanta Energy, Kroger, Republic Services, and South Side Landfill. The Great Indy Cleanup continues into October with organized cleanups scheduled throughout the year. For more information on KIB’s efforts to beautify the city, or to learn how you can help, please visit us at www.greatindycleanup.com.
About Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. (KIB)
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization with a mission to engage diverse communities to create vibrant public places, helping people and nature thrive. In 2013, KIB worked with more than 30,000 volunteers on over 500 community projects. To learn more, visit www.kibi.org, or follow us on Twitter @kibiorg and like us on Facebook @kibiorg.