Formed in 2002 to answer a need to bring litter abatement and prevention down to the smallest unit—the block—Adopt-A-Block has engaged thousands of neighbors!
2012 saw over 630 Blocks Adopted! Individuals volunteer to lead their block to clean their street and build community in their Indianapolis neighborhood. Receiving tools, trees and flowers, we beautify our city together block by block.
Already a Block Captain?
Renew your commitment for 2013 simply by sending an email to Joseph Jarzen.
Please include your block description.
Check out our Adopt-A-Block Neighborhood Map!
current as of March 11, 2013
View Larger Map
Words From the Street
A Building Block to Vibrant Communities
The Adopt-A-Block program empowers neighbors to bring beautification and neighborhood revitalization down to the smallest unit, the block. Neighbors keep their block clean of litter on an on-going basis, and Keep Indianapolis Beautiful provides them with tools and resources to help in their efforts.
Adopt-A-Block energizes new neighborhood volunteers to participate in community activities. Street by street, neighbors inspire each other by setting an example of environmental and community stewardship and dramatically improving their quality of life.
Adopt-A-Block builds capacity for neighborhoods to create vital, beautiful greenspaces. Neighborhoods with high Adopt-A-Block participation are leaders in developing pocket parks, community tree plantings and vibrant greenspace projects throughout the city.
What Do I Do As a Block Coordinator?
- Bring your neighbors together – young and old – to set goals, share the work for beautifying your block and being together.
- Gain the cooperation of your neighbors to keep your block clean, whether that means daily pick up, a weekly cleanup or a monthly effort.
- Let your neighbors know about the resources available for your block through Keep Indianapolis Beautiful. From free trainings to trees, we are here to help!
- Talk to residents about what you are doing when you are out cleaning your block. See if you can recruit new block coordinators on other streets in your neighborhood in order to expand your impact. Work with new block coordinators to create a larger vision for greenspace projects.
What We Provide to Help You!
- We provide each block coordinator with a cleanup kit including a broom, shovel, bags, gloves, a litter grabber, dust pan and a bucket. On an annual basis, KIB will provide a new supply of gloves and trash bags to aid in your cleanup activities!
- Each block is scored two times May – October (A score of “1” indicates no litter, “4” indicates heavily littered). In a monthly score letter, blocks are notified of scores as well as of upcoming events and resources available through KIB.
- Flowers are awarded each spring to blocks with an average score of “2” or better for the previous year. The Flower Distribution Day is a fun event where block coordinators pick out flowers from a variety of colorful annuals and perennials. Coordinators then distribute these flowers to their neighbors or plant them in community areas to improve the curb appeal of their block.
- All blocks, regardless of their cleanliness score, have the opportunity to receive FREE TREES in the fall through Keep Indianapolis Beautiful’s NeighborWoods program!
- We host trainings and social events that allow blocks to learn from each other and celebrate their successes.
Already and Adopt-A-Block Captain? Visit these links below for helpful information and neighborhood resources.
- Share Your Successes! Please fill out this Adopt-A-Block spotlight form so we can learn more about you and what you are doing in your neighborhood. We will use these spotlights on our website, in KIB's quarterly Get the Dirt newsletter and in information sent out to Adopt-A-Block coordinators across the city!
- Adopt-A-Block Handbook: Everything you need to know about the Adopt-A-Block Program!
- Local Neighborhood Resources: Take a look at the resources available to help you improve your neighborhood.
Have a question? Contact Joseph Jarzen at email@example.com or 317-264-7555 x106.
Continued success of the Adopt-A-Block Program depends on our sponsors and individuals like you! Consider donating to Keep Indianapolis Beautiful.
Thanks to our Adopt-A-Block Sponsors!